Review: The Selection by Kiera Cass

The Selection by Kiera Cass (The Selection #1)

Egalley thanks to HarperCollins UK


Synopsis from Goodreads
Thirty-five beautiful girls. Thirty-five beautiful rivals…

It’s the chance of a lifetime and 17-year-old America Singer should feel lucky. She has been chosen for The Selection, a reality TV lottery in which the special few compete for gorgeous Prince Maxon's love.

Swept up in a world of elaborate gowns, glittering jewels and decadent feasts, America is living a new and glamorous life. And the prince takes a special interest in her, much to the outrage of the others.

Rivalry within The Selection is fierce and not all of the girls are prepared to play by the rules. But what they don’t know is that America has a secret – one which could throw the whole competition… and change her life forever.


UK Release Date: 7th of June 2012.

Amazon  US/UK | Amazon kindle US/UK | The Book Depository US/UK | Fishpond

7.5/10

* * *
 To be honest, this book would have easily gotten 8.5/10 but the ending totally pissed me off.



It's fun, it's highly entertaining, romantic and visual. I even agreed with America's decision and rooted for prince Maxon all the way. She was way too condescending to poor guy, and don't get me started on her ex. He was effing unbelievable. As in unbelievably stupid.


Let's tell poor America that it's all over, break her heart because so sorry! I can't provide for you and I won't take anything from you. Well, eff you too, my dear boy! Then when involvement with her will condemn both of them to treason, he can't care less again and pursue the girl.


You know what this tells me of? Utter and pure selfishness. I would be extremely disappointed if he ever becomes a part of the cursed love triangle...

Now the competition is fun, the palace with its luscious meals, gowns and friendly servants reads like a fairy tale despite a vague threat of rebels, who like the bogeymen we hear about but never encounter. Even the mean and friendly girls are not too mean and friendly.

Maxon is likeable, America is tolerable and what's his name? Aspen - forgettable. I don't even know why the author made all that fuss about poor Wendy's review on Goodreads when it haven't harmed the popularity of her book in any way. 


As to the end, it simply sucked. There is no conclusion, no round up of anything, it just ends metaphorically speaking in the middle of the sentence.


I don't like cliffhangers, but tolerate them, but this is an even more shameless try to ensure that we'll buy the next book, and nobody likes to be used or manipulated so blatantly. So yeah, read it but bear in mind that the ending will be disappointing.


Similar reads: The Pledge by Kimberly Derting, Savor by Megan Duncan


* * *
В общем-то, я уже пожаловалась на недостатки книги на инглише, теперь повторяюсь на великом и могучем.


Книга очень развлекательная, читается легко и динамично. Сам дворец с его едой, пышными нарядами и доброй прислугой прямо сказка. Злостные девчонки и добрые подруги Америки не перебарщивают со злостностью и добротой и на том спасибо!


Максон - очаровашка, и какого хрена она мучается с выбором я мягко говоря не понимаю.


Её придурок Аспен бросил её из-за того, что он самый несчастный в мире человек, содержать её не сможет а от неё денег не возьмёт. Ну и пошёл ты, мальчик! Как только Америка обустраивается во дворце и начинает влюблятся в принца, раздражающий Аспен опять выпрыгивает как чёртик из табакерки и несмотря на угрозу обвинения их обоих в государственной измене опять преследует Америку.


О чём вам это говорит? Правильно, - он эгоистичный, самовлюблённый идиот, и делать с ним совершенно нечего. Слава богу, у Америки хватает ума его не выбрать и ничего ему не пообещать.

 Концовка конечно совершенно безмозглая, обрывается на полуслове и меня  разъярила до невозможности. Это понятно, что автор хочет убедиться, что вторую книгу мы купим, так для этого ведь и существуют клиффхэнгеры. У мисс Касс выходит всё гораздо хуже и вульгарнее, а я это жутко не люблю, хотя конечно она всё равно будет смеяться всю дорогу по пути в банк...


В общем читать можно, да и насчёт концовки я вас предупредила, - дерзайте на свой страх и риск!

Comments

  1. I think this was available to everyone for a time on Netgalley. I didn't download it though because of what the author and her publicist did to Wendy. I was tempted to read it really, but because of your review, I'm not anymore. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eeek.. I really don't like it when readers are manipulated to read the sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. me too, Eva! I like proper conclusion to a book, no matter if it's part of the series. It just doesn't feel right without one, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no, I so do not need a ending that pisses me off! Those make me go freaking insane

    ReplyDelete
  5. It nearly made me do that too, Blodeuedd! Ugh! :)))

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you on the ending, it's not even a cliffhanger, it just stops mid scene! I didn't know about any of the fuss surrounded *that* review until recently. I know lots of bloggers will avoid but lets face it, the rest of the world won't even know about that side. I'd like to read book 2 if HC let me have a copy next year but I probably wouldn't buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ellie, i feel exactly the same way about this book! I will read the second one if it's offered for review otherwise I wouldn't bother...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bahahaha, I'm surprised you gave this such a high rating! But I get it too. It's pretty bad, but it's just so damn entertaining, even when you want to throw the book across the room because of the rampant sexism of Aspen or the way-too-niceness of Maxon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Exactly, Christina! It's so damn entertaining that you enjoy it no matter what :) hence the high rating. "rampant sexism" - love it! I couldn't stand that guy! ugh.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment